What To Do After An Auto Accident In Honolulu
If you are involved in an auto accident, your first concern has to be for your safety. Here, briefly, are some steps to take:
- Get your vehicle to a safe position at the side of the road.
- Administer first aid as needed to yourself and passengers.
- Render reasonable aid to injured parties in other vehicles.
- Call 9/11 and request police and an ambulance.
- Exchange identifying information with the other driver.
- Take cellphone photos of the accident scene, damage to vehicles, and injuries.
- Ask the police how you can get a copy of their report.
- Get yourself checked out, even if you are not sure you were injured.
- Get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Contact an auto accident attorney.
Of course, the specific circumstances of your accident may force you to diverge from this list. If the driver who hit you is intoxicated, you don’t want to engage. Stay in your car and wait for the police. If your vehicle cannot be moved, you have to decide whether you are safer inside the car or out. You must weigh the danger of a second collision with an oncoming vehicle against the danger of crossing the road to safety. But no matter the circumstances, you must keep a cool head and contact Honolulu Car Accident Attorneys Shim and Chang as soon as possible.